Nepal Geological Society (NGS) founded in 1980 is a professional scientific organization of Geoscientists. It was formally registered at the office of Chief District Officer in Kathmandu, Nepal on 15 April 1980 (2 Baishakh 2037 BS). It has just over 900 members, out of which nearly one third are international members from the Asia- Pacific, Europe, Australia and North America.. The Executive Committee carries out the day to day management and other affairs of the society. NGS has been able to effectively establish an international network of geoscientists engaged in the research of the Himalaya, Karakorum, Hindukush and Tibet. It is also the National Group Member of International Association for Engineering Geology and the Environment (IAEG). As a member of Nepal National Committee on International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction (IDNDR) the society led the IDNDR activities in Nepal throughout the decade (1990 – 2000) by organizing seminars, workshops and training as well as making relevant publications. It has prepared for the first time the Comprehensive Database on Natural Disaster Management Capabilities in Nepal in 1997. The Society received the 1998 United Nations Sasakawa Disaster Prevention Award Certificate of Merit in appreciation for its distinguished contribution to disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness.
Himalaya Karakoram-Tibet (HKT) Workshop
- Twenty Seventh HKT Workshop: 28-30 November, 2012
- Ninth HKT Workshop: 1-4 April, 1994
Nepal Geological Congress
- Ninth Nepal Geological Congress: 19-21 November, 2018
- Eighth Nepal Geological Congress: 27-29 November, 2016
- Seventh Nepal Geological Congress: 07-09 April, 2015
- Sixth Nepal Geological Congress: 15 -17 Nov, 2010
- Fifth Nepal Geological Congress: 26 – 27 Nov, 2007
- Fourth Nepal Geological Congress: , 9 – 10 April, 2004
- Third Nepal Geological Congress: 26-28 Sept, 2001
- Second Nepal Geological Congress: 11-13 Nov, 1997
- First Nepal Geological Congress: 15-16 Aug, 1995
Other Regular Activities since 1980
- Organize Scientific Talk programs to share the geo-scientific research findings and exchange the knowledge through inviting eminent scientists from Nepal and Abroad
- Organized several Training Programs by inviting eminent scientists from Nepal and abroad.
- Regular publications of Journal of Nepal Geological Society and News Bulletin
- Publication of Books
- Associated Society of Geological Society of America (GSA)
- National Group of International Association of Engineering Geology (IAEG)
- International Geological Congress (IGC)
- The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
UN-Sasakawa Disaster Prevention Award by UN Humanitarian and Emergency Relief Co-ordination Office of IDNDR Secretariat in Geneva for its efforts in disseminating the scientific knowledge and spreading the awareness of prevention of the natural disaster in 1998.
Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) awarded Nepal Geological Society (NGS) from “Science and Technology Promotion Award 2069-2070” for its significant contribution to promote Geoscience Profession in the country. Dr. Dinesh Pathak, President of NGS received this award on December 5, 2013 for NGS from the Chairman of the Council of Minister, Government of Nepal and Chancellor of NAST, Mr. Khila Raj Regmi.